In 1740, Jason Russell built the oldest part of the house, consisting of two rooms, and later added two more. Decorative changes around the windows and front door and an ell were added in the 19th Century.
The furnishings in the house date from the 18th and 19th centuries, reflecting its long development. Many of the furnishings belonged to the Russell family who occupied the house until 1896.
The Arlington Historical Society, a non-profit corporation organized in 1897, acquired and restored the house in 1923. On October 9, 1974 the National Park Service and the Department of the Interrior approved the addition of this historic house to the National Register of Historic Places. The reference number for this house is 74000363.
The ground floor is handicapped accessible; the second floor can be experienced using our photo-interpretation book.
Located beside the kitchen is an herb garden featuring colonial period herbs used for cooking, dyeing, and medicinal purposes. This garden is maintained by a dedicated group of volunteers from the Arlington Garden Club.
For visitor information, including hours, admission fees and directions, see our Visitor Guide Page.